- INGREDIENTS TO GET READY
- 1400g Beef Mince
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 2 medium carrots (finely chopped)
- 2 celery sticks (finely chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 100ml red win
- 3 tbsps Geo Watkins Mushroom Ketchup
- 850ml beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt to taste
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 40g plain flour
- 3tbsps olive oil
- FOR THE MASH
- 200g cheddar cheese
- PUT IT TOGETHER
- 1. In a large saucepan and fry 1400g beef mince until browned. Set aside as it browns.
- 2. Put 3 tbsp olive oil into the pan, add finely chopped onions, chopped carrots and chopped celery sticks and cook on a gentle heat until soft, about 8-10 mins.
- 3. Add finely chopped garlic cloves and plain flour, increase the heat and cook for a few mins, then return the beef to the pan.
- 4. Pour over red wine and boil to reduce it slightly before adding the 850ml beef stock, Geo Watkins, a few rosemary sprigs and 2 bay leaves.
- 5. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 45 mins. By this time the gravy should be thick and coating the meat. Check after about 30 mins – if a lot of liquid remains, increase the heat slightly to reduce the gravy a little. Season well, then discard the bay leaves and rosemary stalks.
- 6. Meanwhile, make the mash. In a large saucepan, cover the potatoes which you've peeled and halved, in salted cold water, bring to the boil and simmer until tender.
- 7. Drain well, then allow to steam-dry for a few mins. Mash well with the 200ml double cream, 25g butter, ¾ chop chives and three-quarters of the 200g strong cheddar cheese. Check for seasoning.
- 8. Spoon the meat into ovenproof dishes. Pipe or spoon on the mash to cover. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- 9. If eating straight away, heat oven to 200C fan/gas 7 and cook for 25-30 mins, or until the topping is golden.
- 10. Garnish with remaining chop chives.
Recipe Cuisine: American