Chef Laurence’s Beef & Mushroom Bourguignon with Pommes Puree
by Chef Laurence
- INGREDIENTS TO GET READY
- 2kg Braising beef
- 2 bottles red wine (good enough to drink)
- rapeseed oil
- 2 shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 carrots
- 200g button mushrooms
- 100g shiitake mushrooms
- 3 bay leaves
- 100 springs thyme
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 75g plain flour
- 500g baby pearl onions
- 400g diced bacon lardons
- Handful parsley
- 1kg Maris piper potatoes
- 200g butter (soft)
- 75ml double cream
- 3 tbsp Geo Watkins mushroom Ketchup
- Salt & pepper
- PUT IT TOGETHER
- 1. Cut the braising steaks into decent sized chunks, In a large bowl mix with the Geo Watkins mushroom Ketchup ensuring all the beef gets a good coating.
- 2. Cover with the red wine, bay leaves & thyme & leave to marinade overnight.
- 3. Drain using a colander, Keeping the red wine.
- 4. In a heavy bottomed pan, fry the meat in batches in a little rapeseed oil, once browned transfer to a roasting dish.
- 5. Repeat until all the meat is well browned, add a splash of red wine to deglaze the roasting pan & add to the meat.
- 6. Roughly dice the carrot & colour in the frying pan in a knob of butter, finely chop the shallots & garlic and cook with the carrot until the begin to colour.
- 7. Quarter the shiitake mushrooms & add to the pan.
- 8. Add the plain flour & cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 9. Add the tomato puree & cook for 2 minutes to get rid of the raw tomato flavour.
- 10. Once cooked out, add the beef along with any cooking juices, the rest of the red wine & herbs.
- 11. Ensuring it is all well mixed through, put a lid on the pan & place in the oven at around 175 degrees C for approx. 2.5 hours.
- 12. In the meantime, peel & quarter the Maris piper potatoes.
- 13. Boil in heavily salted water until light & fluffy.
- 14. Drain & leave to steam dry for 5 minutes.
- 15. Pass through a potato ricer & mix with the soft butter & double cream
- 16. Season with salt & pepper.
- 17. In a separate frying pan, cook the bacon lardons on a medium heat until golden & crispy.
- 18. Half or quarter the button mushrooms depending on their size & add to the lardons along with the pearl onions.
- 19. Roughly chop the parsley.
- 20. Remove the beef from the oven, the meat should be like butter at this point.
- 21. Taste the beef & sauce, if needed add a splash of the Mushroom ketchup & black pepper to adjust the seasoning.
- 22. To serve, take a generous helping of the mash potato, make a little well in the middle.
- 23. Place the beef in the well, topped off with the lardon mixture & a sprinkle of parsley.
- 24. Enjoy!
Recipe Cuisine: French